This is something I've been thinking about since the other day. Let me say first that I’ve never bought groceries online so this whole concept is pretty new to me. Of course, I know that a lot of people are doing this regularly and it’s an absolutely normal thing by now but online grocery shopping has never been in any way part of my life. I wasn’t even thinking about it. But then stuff happened and now I’m kinda thinking about it all the time. It’s actually freaking me out, to be honest, but let’s start from the beginning.
So what happened is that I needed a lot of stuff for this weekend. I mean not A LOT a lot but maybe more than usual. The other thing is that I don’t have a car or someone who is willing to carry my groceries for me. Naturally, I was pretty pissed by the thought that I might have to go to the grocery story TWICE. Because yes, I am lazy. Or just easily annoyed by stuff like that.
So Online Grocery Shopping came to my mind and I went online to check my options. It only took me a few minutes to become really excited about this whole new world that had just opened to me. I started to browse the different categories and put lots of things in my shopping cart. All of that happened with a big smile on my face. Those, like, 30 minutes of my life were fabulous, but in the end, I just couldn’t go through with it.
But before I tell you why, let’s have a look at the pros and cons of online grocery shopping.
Pros of Online Grocery Shopping:
- You don’t have to leave your home.
- You also don’t have to carry all the (possibly heavy) stuff you’ve bought to your home.
- No waiting in line at the checkout.
- Stupid impulse buys are less likely.
- There are usually more products available online.
- You can literally lie in bed and take all your time to browse through the pages.
- You know exactly how much you’ll have to pay so there won’t be any surprises at the checkout.
- You don’t have to deal with other (often grumpy) customers.
- It's less likely that you forget to buy anything you need (something that happens to me all the time if I'm not writing down a shopping list before going to the grocery store).
Cons of Online Grocery Shopping:
- Not going to the grocery store to buy a big tub of ice cream but now actually getting it delivered might make you feel extremely guilty (or incredibly happy, depending on your personality).
- FRUITS AND VEGS - I want to see what I'm going to buy, and as long as grocery stores can’t provide me with a picture of the EXACT apple they’re going to send me, I can’t buy it. Like I’m one of those annoying people who have to look at every single apple to find the most perfect one.
- You might have to pay for delivery.
You can see I have a hard time coming up with reasons that really speak against online grocery shopping. Well, in the end, I didn’t place an order because I didn’t want to pay for delivery. It’s as simple as that. There’s a grocery store about three minutes away from my place. Yeah, I know, only three minutes and I was still considering this, but I’ve told you already that, in fact, I am lazy.
It was only after a few hours that I’ve started to think about it. Like, really think about the entire concept of online grocery shopping, and that was basically the beginning of this whole mess. If you don’t want to hear my crazy thoughts, please stop reading here.
Why do we want to buy our groceries online?
I’m not going to tell you about it in detail because you’d probably think I’m completely losing it, but my thoughts went something like this:
- So now we buy groceries online
- Humans do a lot of stuff online these days, think online dating or job interviews via Skype
- Do humans hate face to face conversations with other humans?
- In Ready Player One they actually went to school and work in a virtual world
- Nobody had to leave the house anymore
- Why?? I don’t get why people want this!
- That must be so boring
- If people always stay home and sit in front of their computers all the time - will they forget how to walk eventually?
- Or will they have robot bodies?
- Then what’s the difference really between a human and a robot?
- Ex Machina
- Maybe there are already living A.I. (AIs, A.I.s, how do you spell this?) among us and we don’t know
- Maybe they’ve made online grocery shopping become a thing
- How scary
- Online grocery shopping is scary!!
You see, I can go crazy with this stuff. I don’t think that online grocery shopping is evil. I’m looking at my list of pros right now and believe that it could make such a different to some people. Not people like me really, but maybe a single mother with three little kids and no car.
Why exactly I’m so freaked out by that, I can’t say. I mean, I order pizza all the time and what’s the difference really? That doesn’t make me feel bad or scared. On the contrary, a world without pizza delivery would make me incredibly sad. Just imagine!
I don’t have made up my mind about this topic yet. In the end, the big question I’m still asking myself is:
Are we really smart or just fucking lazy?
Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think about this. And please don't take this post too seriously.